Sunday, December 23, 2007

Card Of The Week December 23

Fukuoka Softbank Hawks star Nobuhiko Matsunaka turns 34 Wednesday. Here's his 2006 Upper Deck World Baseball Classic Inaugural Images card:

I'd just like to take this moment to say that the baseball card coverage of the WBC really sucked. There was a crummy 50 card box set from Upper Deck that did no team justice (and didn't even include Cuba), then a bunch of inserts for Upper Deck sets that would cost a fortune if they could all be tracked down. As far as I can tell, there were no Japanese sets at all, certainly not a cool team set like the 2003 BBM Japan National Team box set. Hoepfully, things will be better in 2009. But I'm not counting on it.

I'll try to get a post on Hiroki Kuroda up later this week.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Oh, I agree. I even ought the WBC set and then said "Dear god, this royally sucks". It's still in a box in America, it wasn't even worth bringing here. Seriously.

NPB Card Guy said...

I was also irritated by the lack of an English language highlight DVD. It kind of looked like once the US got eliminated, MLB figured that no one would care.